Services and programmes for students and families
Our suite of services and programmes for students and families is divided into three complementary blocks. Our Detection Service enables us to determine a student’s abilities and focus on his or her cognitive and behavioural challenges. This service is offered in conjunction with our Follow Up Programme, which consists of periodic medical and psychological counselling for individuals and families. This service is offered along with our Educational Support Programme, the goal of which is to enable students to reach their full academic potential.
The goal of our Detection Service is to channel students’ abilities to achieve personal and academic success in light of their individual situation. We establish a complete diagnosis of students’ abilities so that they can reach their full potential. This service consists of several phases in which different medical and educational professionals take part.
- We conduct an interview with the student and his or her parents to understand any challenges he or she may be facing, be they social or educational. A complete clinical history is compiled. When a specific cognitive problem is discovered we may conduct specific clinical tests and follow up with corrective exercises and medical treatment through our medical services.
- We conduct appropriate detection tests (WISC-IV, SCAT, STB). In this way we can detect those areas (verbal, mathematical, creative, geometric, spatial, abstract reasoning) in which students stand out, as well as their cognitive limitations and potential learning disabilities and causes (impairment of hearing or sight, laterality problems, dyslexia, ADHD, etc.)
Follow Up Programme
One we have completed the diagnostic stage and have determined the specific needs of the student, the Javier Berché Private Foundation offers the Follow Up Programme, the objective of which is to provide psychological and pedagogical support to students and their families so that they can handle those challenges highlighted by the Detection Service. The Follow Up Programme covers different steps which may be taken depending on the student’s individual diagnosis.
- A weekly follow up of the student’s studies so that the pedagogical team may identify the student’s learning abilities, attitude and difficulties, with the ultimate goal of improving his or her academic performance.
- Individual psychological counselling, the regularity of which is to be determined by the student’s specific needs.
- Family therapy to learn strategies for the student’s home environment.
Educational Support Programmes
The purpose of the educational support programmes is to channel and develop students’ talent in different areas of knowledge. Prior medical diagnosis is not necessary to gain access to these programmes. They are held on a weekly basis and are complemented with intensive workshops during holidays. They are divided into types of learning, namely verbal, quantitative and visual:
- Descartes Programme: accelerated maths with computer-based learning for children ages 7-12.
- Individual academic reinforcement: Catalan, Spanish, philosophy, art history and maths, physics and chemistry (the latter three taught in English)
- Studying habits and techniques.
- SAT exam preparation. This exam is obligatory for those students who wish to attend university in the United States.
- TOEFL exam preparation. This exam evaluates students’ ability in English. It is required of non-English speakers wishing to study in Canada or the United States.